Armed with Christian’s revealing insight into the true character of Talkative, Faithful goes back to Talkative determined to follow Christian’s advice. Christian has suggested that Faithful speak to Talkative not about religion but about the power of religion and to ask him bluntly if he has this power in his life. Poor Talkative is about to be revealed as the hypocrite he is!
Faithful’s First Arrow
• Faithful undoes Talkative by asking two penetrating questions. Write the first question: _How does the saving grace of God discover itself when it is in the heart of man?_
Talkative gives two answers to this question.
1. __Where the grace of God is in the heart, there is an outcry against sin...__
2. __and great knowledge of gospel mysteries._
Faithful brilliantly and boldly counters Talkative’s answers by showing how com-pletely wrong they are. Explain Faithful’s answer to each of Talkative’s replies.
1. _True salvation makes one concerned about his own sins, not the sins of others._
2. _One can know a lot about the Bible and the things of God and yet be unsaved. Salvation comes from acting on that knowledge. _
Examining Faithful’s Counterattack
• Faithful is especially sharp in exploding Talkative’s second answer. He shows from Scripture that God is not as interested in what one knows as in what one does. He then digs at Talkative, saying, “To know is something _that pleases talkers and boasters, but to do is what pleases God_.”
However, Faithful realizes that knowledge is important, for without knowledge the heart is nothing. In other words, a man needs knowledge to know how to serve God, but knowledge for the sake of knowledge is sin! This point should remind us of a lesson from The Inner Man study: we must know to be and be to do.
• Some people do without knowing how; they often make foolish blunders.
• Some people do without being what they ought to be; they are hypocrites.
• Some people know without doing; they are dead Christians.
• Some people know without being; they are intellectual snobs.A Christian must know God’s Word that he might be what God wants him to be and that he might righteously do what God wants him to do.What phrase in Psalm 119:34 goes with each of the following statements?
• David knew the Word _Give me understanding_.
• David’s heart (being) was right _I shall observe it with my whole heart_.
• David did the Word _I shall keep thy law_.
Watch Protestant Reformation p 5 min video
Good soldiers advance after fire. Faithful is a good soldier, and he has Talkative reeling and therefore advances to answer his own first question. His answer is twofold.
How a Work of Grace in the Soul Is Revealed to the One Who Has It
• It convicts him of sin. He sees _the absolute necessity of trusting Him, and he hungers and thirsts to do so_.
How a Work of Grace in the Soul Is Revealed by Others
• First, by an experimental confession of his faith in Christ and second, _a life that is answerable to (is consistent with) that confession_.
• That is, a person who has truly been saved is easily discovered by others because he openly confesses to being saved, and his life backs up his con-fession with three kinds of holiness. What are they? _heart, family, and life (his behavior in the world)_
Faithful’s Second Arrow
• Write Faithful’s second question (which pierces Talkative like a barbed arrow). _Do you experience this first part of the desciption of it, and does your life and behavior testify the same thing? Or does your reli-gion stand in word or tongue but not in deed and truth?_
• What was Talkative’s reaction to Faithful’s very personal question?_He began to blush._
• He is reluctant to answer honestly because he can’t, so he throws a ques-tion back at Faithful. What is it? _Why are you asking me such questions?_
Faithful’s Final ThrustFaithful now intends to finish off Talkative. He levels with him.
• I saw that you were eager to talk and knew that you had nothing else but notions or _empty ideas_.
• You are a man whose religion lies in talk
• Your conversation (life message) makes your mouth profess a _lie_.
• You are a blotch among _true Christians_.
• Religion (Christianity) fares _worse_ because of your life–message.
• Some people have _stumbled_ because of your wicked ways.
• More people are in danger of being _destroyed_.
• Your religion and a beer joint and covetousness, and uncleanness, and swearing, and lying, and vain company-keeping_ are all alike.
• You are like an immoral woman because you are a _shame to all true professing Christians_.
At this point, Talkative is finished. He abruptly says goodbye and leaves the two pilgrims. Can you believe the strong language that Faithful uses on Talkative?! Notice how each succeeding statement that he makes is stronger than the one before it.
Christian, who has been an advisor/bystander, now congratulates Faithful for a job well done.
Why is Faithful glad for this experience?
• _Talkative might think about their conversation more seriously later on._
• _Faithful is clear of Talkative’s blood if he should perish later on._
• Why does Christian approve of the blunt way in which Faithful dealt with Talkative? _If everyone would deal so bluntly with such men, they would either be made more comformable to religion, or the company of saints would be too hot for them.
• According to Christian, to allow men such as Talkative to remain a part of our churches does what three things?
1. _puzzles the world_
2. _blemishes Christianity_
3. _grieves sincere believers_
Thus, our pilgrims continue their journey without one hypocrite. Soon, however, they are to meet their hardest test of all.
What is your life–message? Does it move men toward God? Does your life prove that salvation transforms a life? Does your life prove that when God saves a man, he is a new creature?
• Record below the message that you think your life preaches to others._Answers will vary._
notes from the teacher’s lesson
• How Does the Saving Grace of God Discover Itself? _When It Is in the Heart of Man?_
• _It Causes a Great Outcry Against Sin_
What’s Wrong with This Answer?
• _True Salvation Causes a Soul to Hate Its Own Sin__
• _Great Knowledge of Gospel Mysteries_
What’s Wrong with This Answer?
• _Men May Have Great Knowledge of the Word and Still Be Lost (1 Cor. 13:2; John 13:17.)_
A Work of Grace Discovers Itself to the One Who Has It…(Sub)
• Conviction _of Sin__
• Feels Necessity to _Trust Christ_
…And to Bystanders
• Public _Confession_
• Life Answers to _Confession__
• A _Holy_ Heart
• Family _Holiness__
• Holy Living _Before Others__
• Do You Possess
• Heart Holiness
• Family Holiness
• Holiness Before Others