In this unit, the pilgrims enter a new stage of their journey. They leave the privacy of the wilderness and enter a more public scene in the town of Vanity Fair. Perhaps this shift of setting is an allusion to Bunyan’s being publicly set apart for the ministry. While he was fulfilling his duties as a minister, he was arrested, tried, and persecuted.The speech that Evangelist gave to the pilgrims in the reading for this lesson would make a good ordination sermon. Bunyan narrates the account of his own ordination in 1656 in Grace Abounding. Perhaps this scene in The Pilgrim’s Progress is his “ordination” of Faithful and Christian. Although you’ve seen Evangelist in this story before, he has never been the main subject of our story. Yet, were it not for him, Christian and Faithful would not be on the path to the Celestial City. This instance is the third time that Evangelist has appeared in the story, and with each appearance we gain a clearer picture of the true soul winner. Evangelist represents the biblical soul winner. From him we learn many lessons, several of which we’ll examine in this lesson.
Lessons from Evangelist
• List the three occasions when Evangelist has appeared in our allegory.
1. _to Graceless outside the city of Destruction
2. _at the hill outside the city of Destruction_
3. _here, just before the pilgrims enter Vanity Fair_
Note the following lessons that we’ve learned at each of his appearances in the story.
In his first appearance, we saw the following soul winner’s methods.
• Look for burdened hearts.
• Arouse interest by asking piercing questions.
• Use the Scripture to point the soul to Christ.
In his second appearance, we saw the soul winner’s follow–up program.
• Keep in touch with the sinner.
• Point him back to Christ.
Now, in his third appearance, we see his concern for his convert.
• He is just as interested in Christian now that he’s saved as he was when Christian was lost and called Graceless.
• He warns him of danger to come.
• He is loved by the convert.
• His joy is in seeing the growth of his converts.
The Admiration of the Evangelist
A soul winner’s converts never forget him! One of our earthly rewards is the continued love and friendship bestowed upon us by those whom we lead to the Lord.
• How do Christian and Faithful illustrate this truth? _They were happy to see Evangelist, welcomed him joyfully, called him “friend,” etc_
A soul winner is always admired. Who admires you for your soul–winning efforts?
The Heart of the Evangelist
The heart of the true soul winner is seen by the following two characteristics.
1. His Concern
Evangelist’s first two statements reveal much about his heart. Record these statements and what you learn about his heart in each case.
• First statement: _Peace be with you, dearly beloved, and peace be to your helpers._
Lesson learned: _He loves them and is concerned about them._
• Second statement: _How have you been doing, friends, since the time I saw you last? What has happened to you along the way, and how have you behaved yourselves?_
Lesson learned: _He’s concerned about how they’ve fared along the way since he last saw them. He wants to know what’s happened to them and how they’ve reacted to things._
• Read his first statement again. Then read
1 Chronicles 12:18. Who are the “helpers” whom he mentions? _God_
From this we learn that a true soul winner is as concerned for his converts after they are saved as he is before they were saved. He follows up and helps them grow and avoid dangers.
2. His Joy
The soul winner’s joy is by far the greatest joy that a man can have on this earth. Evangelist is glad for the following three reasons:
1. _that they have been victorious through all of the trials and tribulations they’ve encountered
2. _that they have continued in the right way
3._for both of their sakes
Have you ever experienced the joy of seeing someone whom you led to the Lord grow into a strong Christian? No sports accomplishment, achievement in life, or amount of money or gain can rival the joy of the soul winner!
The Messages of the Evangelist
Evangelist brings two exhortations to Christian and Faithful. Both messages are meant to prepare them for their approaching experiences and trials in Vanity Fair.
The First Message
The first message has the following five points.
1. Keep Your Crown
• A Christian can win a number of crowns. Read the following references and write in the space the types of crowns mentioned.
• 1 Corinthians 9:25 — _incorruptible_
• 1 Thessalonians 2:19— _crown of rejoicing_
(This crown, the soul winner’s crown, is not an actual crown but the souls won to Christ.)
• 2 Timothy 4:8— _crown of righteousness_
(Who wins this crown? _those who love Christ’s appearing_)
• James 1:12— _crown of life
(Who wins this crown? _those who love Christ and endure temptation_)
• 1 Peter 5:4— _crown of glory_ (This crown is reserved for faithful pastors.)
• Which of these crowns do Faithful and Christian stand to gain? _incorruptible
• Can a crown be lost? _yes__
• What does Revelation 3:11 ask us to do that Evangelist asked Faithful and Christian to do? _hold fast what we have and not let any man take away our crown_
2. Remember Satan
• The valleys of Humiliation and the Shadow of Death are now behind the pilgrims. If they are not careful, however, they will assume that they have finally won out over Satan. What does Evangelist say concerning this?_You’re not yet out of the gunshot of the devil. You’ve not yet “resisted unto blood striving against sin.”_
A Christian does not defeat Satan until the believer reaches heaven!
3. Live With Eternity in View
• Which saying of Evangelist teaches the pilgrims to keep their minds on the future? _Keep the kingdom always uppermost in your mind and believe steadfastly the things that are invisible.
4. Avoid Being Entangled by the World
• What words of Evangelist express this lesson? _Don’t let anything on this side of the other world get inside you.
• This warning can apply to cars, boats, sports, houses, popularity, riches, clothing, friends, etc.
Read Matthew 13:4-8,
18–23. Which type of ground (heart) never bears fruit because of its worldly entanglements? _the thorny soil
• What two things keep such a person from bearing fruit?__the cares of the age and the deceitfulness of riches
5. Don’t Trust the Flesh
• Which of Evangelist’s statements warns of this danger? _Above all, guard carefully your own hearts, and beware its lust because they are “deceitful above all things and desperately wicked.”
The Second Message
• Christian now thanks Evangelist for his message and then asks that he do what? _tell them about some of the things that they can expect to happen to them along the rest of their way
• Thus, Evangelist begins a final short exhortation. His text is Acts 14:21–22, which warns us that _we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
• He then describes their coming tribulation. They will soon come to a town, where they will be hard pressed by enemies. These men will strain hard to kill them. One of them “must seal _with blood the testimony that you hold_.” But, he tells them, “be faithful unto death, _and the King will give you a crown of life__.”
(Here is the mention of a second crown that we will receive.)
• Which pilgrim will get the best of his brother? _the one who dies_
• Why?_because he arrives at the Celestial City first and because he will thereby escape many miseries that the other will encounter during the rest of the journey
Something is touching, thrilling, and melancholy in this conversation. It reads much like a parting address in which the faithful minister commits his children to the care of the faithful Creator. With sadness, Evangelist sees them leave as they head for their fate.
notes from the teacher’s lesson
Four Types of Leaders
1. ______________________________________________ (“Sent one”)
2. ________________________________________ (Reveals the future)
3. _______________________________________________ (Shepherd)
4. ___________________________________ (To announce good news)
The Methods of the Evangelist
In The City of Destruction
• He Was Looking for ____________________
• He Pointed Graceless ______________________________________
• He Used ________________________________________________
Outside the City of Morality
He ________________________________________________ the Lost Soul
Outside Vanity Fair
He Acts As