This New Life Lesson 3 Baptism of the Holy Spirit
1. Where does the term Baptism of the Holy Spirit come from? p 34 Matthew 3:11 "He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire"
2. What does the Holy Spirit do for us at salvation? p 35 I Cor 12:3 The Holy Spirit imparts a new life to a person thus making them a child of God. " No one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit"
Someone read Genesis 1:2 the Holy Spirit has been active in the earth since the creation.
The prophet Joel spoke of a time when God's Spirit would be poured out upon all flesh. Someone read Joel 2:28-29 800bc
3. What about this upper room experience? p 36 Luke 24:49 Jesus said a promise from the Father would come.
Read Acts 2:1-4 The day of Pentecost
"and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
4. Why do we need the Holy Spirit? p 37 Acts 1:8 Power for witnessing of the living Christ. That day, the upper room 120 went out on the streets and witnessed 3000 souls were added that day. Read Acts 4:4 5000 more.
5. What other names are there for the Holy Spirit? p 38 Jesus called the Spirit "rivers of living water" John 3:37; "Helper" the word is Paraclete meaning "one called alongside to help" John 14:16-17
Read John 16: 13-14 The Holy Spirit guides you into all truth and understanding
6. Do I need to be filled with the Holy Spirit? p 40 Ephesians 5:17-18 It's God's will for every believer to be filled with His Spirit. "And do not be drunk with wine, ... but be filled with the Holy Spirit".
7. How do I know that when I pray, God hears me? p 40-41 I John 5:14-15 "We have confidence, in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us." The last part of that verse restates the first, "And if we know that He hears us, what ever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him."
8. How do I know that I'm filled with the Spirit? p 41 Mark 16:17 signs follow those that believe : "they will speak with new tongues".
9. Where does the Old Testament talk about tongues? p 41 Isaiah 28:11-12
"With stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people." The second part of that verse talks about tongues as being a rest and refreshing. "this is the rest with which you may cause the weary to rest, and this is the refreshing"
10. How did Paul receive the Holy Spirit? p 42 Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit when Ananias laid hand on him.
11. What did he say to the Corinthians about tongues? I Cor 14:18
"I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all."
Watch Pilate 16min video
Book Credit: This New Life by Billy Joe Daugherty ISBN1-56267-231-2