# 26 The Election of 1800 Ch 8
Watch Election of 1800 6 min video
John Adams vs. Thomas Jefferson.
In the Electoral College back then, each elector cast two ballots one for President and one for Vice-president Thomas Jefferson got 73 and VP Aaron Burr 73...
Watch Electoral College 2min video
House of Representaves decided the election: With Alexander Hamilton's help Jefferson wins the election because he dispised Burr. Grandpa's Pistols
1. Thomas Jefferson wins
This election sets three important precedents:
1. first time the press played an important
2. first time a (peaceful) transfer of power
3. first time the Congress decided a
Watch election of 1800 attack ads 2min video
2. Before Adams leaves office he appoints midnight judges because of the Judiciary Act of 1801.
John Marshall as Supreme Court chief justice.
Watch video on the rise of political parties 4 min
What did we learn today?
What were the three important precedents that were
set in the Election of 1800 ?
Last Update: November 15, 2016
OBJECTIVES: Students will be able to:
2. explain the difference between
3. describe the
4. chart on a map the
5. define the terms
6. Explain the significance of
Knowledge: Recall of data.
Comprehension: Understand the meaning, translation, interpolation, and interpretation of instructions and problems. State a problem in one's own words.