US History Hmwk Lessons 21-23
Use lessons # 21-23
Last name, First name
1. In what year do historians consider the birth of the United States?
2. In what year was the ratification of the United States constitution?
3. What form of government is the central government subordinate to the states.
4. What document became, in effect, America's first national constitution?
Articles of Confederation
Declaration of Independence
Peace of Paris
5. Which of these was a reason the Articles were weak?
9 states had to ratify laws
President commanded the Army
No executive or judicial branches
No power to tax.
6. Which of these was not part of the Land Ordinance for the Northwest Territory?
Provided for the surveying of territory.
Once a population gets to 60,000 then area could become a state.
Mississippi would be controlled by the Spanish
Territory must have Religious freedom, and prohibited slavery,
7. When Massachusetts farmers lost their farms what legal term is there when banks reposess someone's land?
none of these
8. Go to lesson #22. Where did the Constitutional convention of 1789 meet?
Independence Hall, Maine
Independence Hall, Virginia
Independence Hall, New York
Independence Hall, Philadelphia
9. What was this great decision that confronted the delegates at the constitutional convention?
Scrap the Peace of Paris and draft a new constitution.
Scrap the Articles of Confederation appoint a king
Scrap the Articles of Confederation and draft the Peace of Paris
Scrap the Articles of Confederation and draft a new constitution.
10. What is the last name of the oldest delegate at the constitutional convention?
11. In the 3/5's Compromise every 3 out of 5 slaves counted toward what?
12. Go to lesson # 23. What name was given to the political party that wanted a strong central government?
13. What name was given to the political party that wanted a strong state government?
14. Why were the 85 essay of The Federalists written?
written to pursuade people to the virtue of socialists government
written to pursuade people to the virtue of republican government
written to pursuade people to the virtue of monarchy government
written to pursuade people to the virtue of confederate government
15. Which of these was not an author of the Federalists essays?
16. Which state was the first to ratify the constitution?
17. What name was given to 1st 10 amendments to the constitution that gives rights to the people and restricts the governments power over the people?
Bill of Tights
Bill of Caps
Bill of Amendments
Bill of Rules
Bill of Rights
18. Look at the map under "Thirteen Battles". Which state ratified the constitution on May 23, 1788?