US History Hmwk Lessons 37-39
US History Hmwk Lessons 37-39
You will be using lessons # 37, 38,39 to complete this homework assignment.
Last name, first name
Your email address
1. Go to lesson # 37. What is the idea that it was God's will for the U.S. to expand from sea to shining sea?
2. Last name of the man who established a large American settlement in Texas?
3. What is the last name of the man who became dictator of Mexico?
4. Last name of the man who was the former governor of Tennessee that led the Texas Revolution?
5. Which of these is not a Texas battle cry?
"Remember the Alamo"
"Remember Pearl Harbor"
"Remember the Goliad"
6. Which battle won by the Texans changed the course of North American history forever?
Battle of San Deago
Battle of San Jacinto
Battle of Alamo
Battle of Goliad
7. Now go to lesson # 38. Under the Election of 1840, mouse over "Whigs". The Whig party operated from the early 1830s to the mid---
8. Which treaty settled boundary between Canada and US?
Peace of Paris
Treaty of Paris
Treaty of Canada
Treaty of US and Canada
Webster - Ashburton Treaty
9. What was the battle cry of those expansionists that wanted the US / Canadian border to be 54 / 40' instead of the 49th parallel?
"Fifty or fight"
"Fifty - four or fight"
"Fifty - four forty or fight"
"Forty - fifty or fight
10. Now go to lesson # 39. Look at the map at the top of the lesson. Which land area was purchased by the US in 1853?
Mexico City Purchase
11. In what year did the United States annex the Republic of Texas, which had recently won its independence from Mexico?
12. Under the Causes of the Mexican War, over which two rivers was there a border dispute?
Rio Grand / Mississippi
Rio Grand / Red
Rio Grand / Neuces
Rio Grand / Ohio
13. Under the Causes of the Mexican War, who attempted to preserve peace, but Santa Anna does not even receive him?
None of these
14. What's the last name of the man that won the Battle of Buena Vista?
15. Which of these was not one of the terms of the The Treaty of Guadallupe Hildalgo?
Rio Grande is southern border of Texas
Black Bean becomes President of Texas
U.S. to receive Mexican Cession
Mexico receives 15 million
16. Mouse over the map of 1850. What debate or struggle will be one of the major causes of the Civil War?
Texas still should belong to Mexico
US should buy the Gadsden Purchase
Who will control the Mexican Cession... slave or free
California should be an independent republic
17. Why was the Gadsden Purchase bought from Mexico for 10 million?
To add territory to California
To find a sea outlet for the Colorado River
To ensure a direct route for the southern railroad.
To add to President Polk's war chest
18. Now go back up to the top of lesson # 39. Click on Mexican War paintings link. Click on the first picture, what type of a view is pictured?
19. Click on the picture "Young Texas in Repose". Whose view of the new republic is pictured?
20. Click on the Cartoon "An Available Candidate". What is the last name of the man that is perched atop a pyramid of skulls?