US History Hmwk Lessons 58-59
US History Hmwk Lessons 58-59
You will use lessons # 58 & 59 to complete this assignment.
Last name, First name
Your email address.
Your class period.
1. Go to lesson # 58. Click on the Election of 1896 link. How many total electoral votes were cast?
2. In what year was McKinley assassinated?
3. What was the last name of the man who became president after McKinley was assassinated?
4. Which of these best describes President Roosevelt?
Choose all that apply.
energetic, active, and outgoing
quiet, reserved, and sedate
political progressive, aggressive man who favored vigorous government action
political conservative, cautious, favored tried and true Republican policy
action to curb abuses and secure justice and fair treatment for all Americans
policy of supporting big business / little government
5. What word describes when voters initiate laws by petition?
One word answer only no punctuation.
6. What word describes when voters can remove an official?
7. What word describes when voters vote for laws?
8. Which amendment to the Constitution dealt with prohibition?
9. What was the last name of the man that wrote the book Shame of the Cities?
10. Go to lesson # 59. Teddy Roosevelt, most popular President of the early 1900s. Always an advocate of ....
the strenuous life
get rich quick life
11. Click on the "Trust Buster" link and watch the video called "Histeria? Theodore Roosevelt". According to the song, who would you call if you wanted to break up a big business called a trust?
12. What was the name of the book that portrayed conditions in Chicago's large meatpacking houses ?
George Roosevelt and meat
13. What was the last name of the forester, who published articles in National Geographic?
14. What name was given to the laws that required the forced segregation or seperation, of the races in trains, restaurants, hotel, schools and other social settings?
Yellowstone's Bear laws
Gifford Pinchot laws
Jim Thorpe laws
Jim Crow laws
15. Which Supreme Court case case which decreed that "seperate but equal" facilities were constitutional?
Plessy v. Cap
Plessy v. Furguson
Plessy v. Jim Crow
Plessy v. Roosevelt
16. The Panama Canal was cut through the Isthmus of which country?
One word answer only
17. Roosevelt's foreign policy slogan was "Speak softly and carry ... what?
None of these
18. What term refers to a politically unstable country dependent upon limited agriculture (e.g. bananas), and ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy, corrupt political leaders?
Big Stick Republic
Monroe Doctrine Republic
19. Click on "Great White Fleet" and watch the second video from YouTube called "The Great White Fleet 4:43 min. You will use this video to answer the questions below. How many port calls?
One number only, no punctuation.
20. What color were all the ships painted?
21. What fuel was commonly referred to as "black diamond"?
22. Waht was the last name of the man that commanded the fleet's Second Division?
23. What year did the Fleet return to Hmapton Beach Virginia?
Year only no punctuation.
24. Now go back to the web lesson. Mouse over the pic of the "Great White Fleet" ship. Last name of the man that was a war hero and later became on of America's greatest Presidents?