US History Hmwk Lessons 8-10
Go to lesson # 8, 9, 10 to complete this assignment.
Last name, first name
Your Email Address
1. Look at the map at the top of lesson #8. Which of these are part of the middle colonies?
2. Last name of who purchased Manhattan Island for about $24?
3. Which Middle colony was first settled by the Dutch called New Netherlands?
4. Click on Duke of York video , watch the video "The Grand Old Duke Of York". In the nursery rhyme what did the Duke of York do with 10,000 men? Choose all that apply.
marched them up to the top of a castle
marched them up to the top of a hill
and he marched them into the sea
and he marched them down again
5. Who did the the Duke of York take New Amsterdam from?
None of these
6. Look at the picture of Stuyvesant in lesson #8, what appendage anomaly does he have?
none of these
7. Which city is known as one of brotherly love?
8. Which of these are Southern Colonies?
Check all that apply.
9. Which colony was founded as a haven for debtor prisoners?
None of these
10. Look at the European Immigration map in lesson #9, along what river in Virginia was there a large population of Africans?
Don't write the word river in the answer.
11. Which colonies were known as the bread colonies?
12. What percentage of all colonists used agriculture for their livelihood?
13. In the slave trade most slaves came from middle Africa along a route known as the..
14. What economic system did the colonies exist for the good of the mother country?
15. Look at the colonial housing pic at the beginning of lesson #10, which of these does not apply to a typical 1611 house?
metal studs framed
16. Why were New England village schools called "dame" schools ?
because they were usually taught by a widow or spinster
after Notre Dame
only females could attend
no females could attend
17. What name was given to a child's first book on a paddle shaped board?
18. What law which established the first modern school system in America and said that any town that has over 50 families has to hire a teacher?
Ole' Deluder Satan Act
19. What was the last name of the black man who accurately predicted an eclipse in 1789 and made a clock entirely of wood?