Movie Viewing Sheet Black History Month Name : ___________________________________________________
Teacher: Mr. Cap Jesse Owens American Experience Video
1. Jesse was the youngest of __________ children.
2. Which Junior High teacher saw the talents of young Jesse? _____________________________
3. Where did Jesse go to college? _____________________________
4. Jesse was elected ___________________ of the track team the first black in school sports history.
5. Who was the leader in Germany for the 1936 Berlin games?___________________
6. About a year before the 1936 Olympic games Jesse goes to ____________________
7. Who was Jesse's main rival on the track?______________________________
8. Besides blacks what was the other minority group that was discriminated against in Germany? ____________
9. In the early 1830s Jesse's ancestors traveled to America on a boat from __________________.
10. Which laws did the Nazis pass in 1935 which denied Jews basic civil rights? _______________________
11. Which opening ceremony celebration did the Germans invent?_______________________
12. What wouldn't Hitler do after Jesse wins the 100 yd race?________________________
13. Who did Jesse replace in the 4 X 100 yd race?________________________________
14. After the Olympics Jesse's amateure status was suspended when he returned to __________________
15. Owens hoped that _________________________ would change the racism in America.
16. To earn money Jesse went to Florida to race a ______________________
17. In 1955 who did President Eisenhower appoint as good will ambassador? ____________________
18. Some say that Jesse died early from a broken ______________________
lighting the Olympic flame
Marty and Sam