The Pilgrims: AKA "Separatists" settled in Massachusetts
Scrooby, England congregation led by Pastor John Robinson
In 1620 William Bradford led the Pilgrims to America with two groups on the Mayflower; Separatists and Strangers
Landed at Plymouth in a region called New England (To far north)
How would they be governed? they wrote out a contract called the Mayflower Compact
Watch America the Story of Us Plymouth up to Paul Revere 14min video
Mayflower Compact set an important precedent
Difficult first year. Cold winter, inadequate food and shelter, plagues of illness. 1/2 died that first winter.
Help from Squanto leads to Thanksgiving Day
Identify our Pilgrim Fathers -
John Carver- 1st governor
William Bradford- 2nd governor and wrote
Miles Standish - leader of the Pilgrims military defense
What came to Massachusetts in 1630? an impressive fleet of 17 ships and 1000 settlers (Puritans)
Important Puritan political principles.
1. Government should be limited by the
2. Citizens should participate in government by
3. Government should protect private property.
1. Puritan work ethic
2. "Yankees" - ingenuity hard working thrifty
Watch Pequot war 11min video
Who was Anne Hutchinson? p 27 mother of 15 who led some astray with her antinomianism teaching.
1. Break up into groups of 5 and choose someone to write down the discussion answers. 2. Read the section about Anne Hutchinson in the book. 3. Discuss and write down the answers to these questions: What is wrong with Antinomanism? What other teaching did she propose? Why was she unresponsive to counseling? Did she need to be banished?
Watch Colonial Post Frame Homes video 6.3 min.
Last Update: September 7, 2018
OBJECTIVES: Students will be able to:
2. explain the difference between
3. describe the
4. chart on a map the
5. define the terms
6. Explain the significance of
Knowledge: Recall of data.
Comprehension: Understand the meaning, translation, interpolation, and interpretation of instructions and problems. State a problem in one's own words.