United States Hist Quiz Lesson # 80-81 Name: ________________________________
Lesson # 80 Cold War:
1. What is a "Cold War"?__________________________________________________________________
2. List attributes of the East and the West following WWII.
3. Sometimes these conflicting ideologies would flare into ____________________ " fighting/ guns/ bombs.
4. List 4 places the Cold War would flare up?____________________________________________________
5. A curtain of Communist slavery had descended on the peoples of Eastern Europe was known as? ___________
6. Truman's foreign policy: pledged American help for any free nation threatened by ________________takeover.
7. ______________________________ Plan: money and supplies to rebuild free Europe.
8. _______________________________ Communists would not let supplies into Free Berlin, so Americans airlifted
Lesson # 81 Korean War:
9. At the end of WW II Korea was divided along the ________________th parallel line.
10. North Korea was __________________________ and South Korea was ________________________.
11. In 1950 North Korea invaded South Korea the_________________ sent troops to defend South Korea.
12. North Koreans pushed south as far as _____________________ Gen. MacArthur made a surprise landing at _______
13. Mac Arthur wanted to invade _____________________and end communism once and for all in that part of the world.
14. Truman said no and _________________ MacArthur
15. _______________________ Doctrine a policy of containment, to keep Communism from spreading and contained.
16. Korean War lasted __________ years . A truce (agreement) was signed.
17. The United States emerged from WWII as the most______________________and ____________ country in the world.
18. Election of 1948 Truman defeated Dewey.
What were the last 5 president's campaign slogans?
26. ____________________________________ was a Soviet spy who passed American secrets to the Communists.
27. ______________________________ was a Senator from Wisconsin who went on an anti -Communist "witch" hunt.
28. How did television influence the McCarthy hearings? _____________________________________________________
29. Which couple were convicted of leaking vital atomic bomb secrets to the Russians?
30. Judge Kaufman said it was the greatest crime committed against the ________________________world.
U2 Spy Plane video Questions: What did pilots call the U2? __________________________
What was the cruising altitude of the U2? __________________________
Who was the pilot of the U2 that was shot down?__________________________
After his conviction how many years did Powers spend in jail? __________________________
Why was he fired from Lockheed? __________________________
Explorer I video Questions: What does JPL stand for? __________________________
What did the scientist want to call the satellite?__________________________
How did Explorer give the US parity with the Soviets? __________________________
What major inovations did the Vanguard satellite have? _________________________
Segregation's Struggle video questions:
1. Segregation loosely defined as a symptom of a greater evil in society ... white _____________
2. Justice Black said the end of segregation was wonderful but some _______________________
3. Justice Frankfurter said desegregation must proceed with all deliberate ___________________
4. Plessey didn't end segregation, but gave rise to youthful activists, sit in ____________________
5. Television helped show America how racists the South and Bull ___________ really were.
6. Justice Black is mad that the South hasn't move with all due ____________________
7. President Johnson in 1964 with enthusiasm backed _____________ ____________________