United States History Quiz Lessons 31-33 Name:
Lesson #31: Cross Currents
What does this mean? "Just think, Mama! This sofa is a millionth part mine." ___________________________
1. American System: Proposed by Henry __________________________:
_____ 2. Which of these is not part of the American System? a. Protective Tariff, b. speculation,
_____ 4. Which of these was not an issue during the election of 1824? a. Slavery, b. Favorite son politics,
Why was the election of 1824 decided by the House of Representatives? ______________________________
5. The first National Road stretched from _________________ Maryland to __________________ Virginia.
6. Why was it important to maintain a Northern and Southern balance of power in the Senate.
7. What was the significance of this latitude line; 36~30` ? __________________________________________
8. How does a Tariff hurt southern farmers? ______________________________________________________
9. What is a "Favorite Son" candidate? __________________________________________________________
Lessons #32 The Jackson Years
10. During President Jackson's Inauguration how did they get the crowd outside? _________________________
_____11. Which of these was not a factor that led to the Panic of 1819?
a. Speculation, b. Wildcat banks,
_____ 12. Which of these was not a Jackson highlight? a. supports the exploration of the Louisiana,
13. Why was there a need for Indian removal? ___________________________________________________
14. What was Oklahoma known as in the 1830's ? _________________________________________________
15. Where did the federal gov move the Indians that white settlers would not later desire those lands? _________
16. What did the Cherokee called their removal? __________________________________________________
17. What does nullification mean?_______________________________________________________________
Lesson #33 Party Politics
18. What nickname was given by the friends of Jackson? ________________________ Whigs? ____________
19. Where did the Whigs get their party name? ___________________________________________________
20. Who won the election of 1836? ___________________________________________________________
21. In the New Age in American Politics, western states gave every man the ____________________________.
_____ 22 . Which of these was not a New Political Tactics? a. spoils system, b. machines,
23. In the Election of 1840 the Whigs nominate William Henry Harrison AKA "_________________________"
Fill in the map answers below: