United States History Quiz Lesson # 44-47
Lesson # 44:
1. Most people believed a quick, decisive duel held somewhere between Washington, D.C., and
2. South: Gen ____________________________ Jackson, Christian General won @ Bull Run.
______ 3. Which of these is not a Northern strategy? a. Capture Richmond,Virginia.
4. Lincoln puts Gen McClellan in command (good ______________________ but bad military tactician)
5. Lee then defeats General Pope (North) in the Second Battle of Manassas and clears
____________________of federal troops.
6. Which Battle was the bloodiest single day of the Civil War 24,000 causalities? ________________
______ 7. Which of these was not a direct consequence of Lee's victories in the East:
8. Which battle became the the turning point of the War ? ________________________________
9. Monitor (North) & Merrimac (South)were two of the first _______________ that battled to a draw.
Lesson # 45:
10. " Unconditional Surrender" General ______________________ takes control of Mississippi.
11. David G Farragut led his Union fleet up the Mississippi River and captured ____________________________.
12. A.E. Burnside replaced McClellan was more famous for his _______________________.
Lesson # 46:
13. Blockade _____________________ were Confederate ships that brought supplies into Southern ports.
14. In the ______________ _____________City Draft Riots new immigrants didn't understand the war nor fight in it.
15. _____________________ : Southern sympathizers in the North
16. Which presidential order freed all slaves living in the south? __________________________________
Lesson # 47:
17. March to the Sea led by William T. Sherman instituted a "scorched ________________________ policy"
18. Sherman wanted to show Southerners that resistance was _____________________________
19. Nearly ___________________________ soldiers died during the Civil War, but bullets and
cannon balls weren't the biggest killers. "For every one killed in battle almost _____ died of disease,"
20. Lincoln Assassinated by John Wilkes _____________ @ _____________Theatre
watching " ____________ ___________________________ _____________________ "