United States History Quiz Lesson # 54-57 Name: ________________________________
Lesson # 54 Western Expansion:
1. "I see continual trains of cars winding along the Platte" What is the Platte? ___________________
2. ______ railroad was the first to link the Atlantic and Pacific coast.3. Describe how the land grants worked.
4. Name the place in Utah where the two railroad lines met.5. Miners find gold and silver in Colorado. 59ers motto was ______
7. Define vigilantes.
8. What breed of cow was "lean, hardy, fleet of foot, and ill-tempered"?
9. What law became the most important factor to stimulate
14. By 1899 name 5 new states that were added to the Union.
15. Indian trader ____________________________ first marked this famous cattle trail for his wagons.
16. What three things did homesteaders need to do to obtain 160 acres of land?
Lesson # 55 Indian Affairs:
17. White settlers and Indians clashed for___________________rights.
18. What was the most famous battle of the Sioux War?_________________________________________________
19. Describe the tragic ending to the Battle of Wounded Knee. _____________________________________________
20. This law broke up the tribal bands and assigned each Indian 160 acres.__________________________________
Lesson # 56 International Expansion:
21. What was the "White Man's Burden"? _____________________________________________________________
22. In the 1860s Emperor Napoleon III sent Archduke Maximilian of Austria to Mexico to establish a French empire in Mexico.
23. Commodore__________ ___________ sailed a fleet of warships to Japan to seek a trade agreement.
24. Jonathan ________ : returned to Japan as a missionary, invented rickshaw.
25. Define Imperialism. ______________________________________________________________________________
26. Secretary of State William Seward wanted to buy _______________from Russia for $7.5 mil
Lesson # 57 Spanish American War:
27. What was the printing of sensational and sometimes unfounded stories to arouse sentiment? _____________________
28. What were the Causes of the Spanish American War? _____________________________________________________
29. What name was given to the collection of cowboys, Indians, college students, and buffalo soldiers? ________________