United States History Quiz Lessons # 77-79 Name: _____________________
Lesson # 77 Fight For Fortress Europe:
1. What was the basic strategy in the Allied Fight for Fortress Europe? __________________________________
2. The Desert War in North Africa was known as "Operation _____________________".
3. 850 ships landed on the west coast of Africa. Who was the British Commander? _______________________
4. Who was the American General that helped defeat Rommel in North Africa? ___________________________
5. "Operation Husky" 3,000 ships landed on Sicily and Italy in an effort to _____________________________
6. General Eisenhower (Ike) ordered "Operation _____________________________ "
7. D-Day June 6th 1944 The beginning of the end for _______________.
8. Battle of the__________________ Germany's last ditch offensive in the European Theater
9. Hitler cowardly commits _______________ on April 30,1945, Germany surrenders AKA ____-____ Day
Lesson #78 War in the Pacific:
______ 10. Which of these is not a World War II song? a. Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone
11. Name the strategy used by the U.S. to capture an island then use it as a base assault on the next island moving steadily toward Japan. __________________________
12. General MacArthur escapes the Philippines but promises "___________________________________"
13. Colonel Jimmy Doolittle led a group of B-25 bombers to attack and bomb _______________________
14. ________________________ first naval battle in which the enemy ships never saw each other. Radar
15. ________________________ the turning point in the battle to control the Pacific
16. ________________________ first real engagement of fighting soldiers heavy losses on both sides
17. _______________________ Japan lost almost all of its remaining ships and planes
18. ________________________Desperate Japanese use suicide "bonzi" tactics to defend the island.
19. _______________________ Last major battle in the Pacific Theater.
20. Famous photo from the Pulitzer prize-winning photo by news photographer Joe ________________________.
Lesson # 79 Aftermath of War:
26. After WWII the aftermath includes __________ million people died including over ____________ Americans.
27. According to Hitler, what was the Jew's worst crime? ___________________________________________
28. Name three of the largest concentration camps. ________________________________________________
29. What is tacit approval? ___________________________________________________________________
30. What does the acronym NATO stand for? _____________________________________________________