United States History Quiz Lesson 90-93 Name: ________________________________
Lesson # 90 Nixon and the Silent Majority
1. ____________________________________ Nixon coined this term as the Americans that supported him:
3. After 100 years of racial segregation the Supreme Court ordered school________________ (mixing of blacks and whites)
4. Nixon's foreign policy: _______________War still raging. Nixon visits _____________________ & opened trade doors
5. _____________________________________ was a lessening of tensions between the two super powers.
6. _______________________________________ agreement led to fewer nuclear weapons
7. OPEC oil crisis upped the price of oil so the ____________________________ pipeline was built as a result.
8. In an effort to pursuade North Vietnamese to make peace Nixon authorized raides into Cambodia, Laos, and massive bombing of ______________________________. This did little to end the war
9. William Calley and the My Lai _____________________________
10. Why did Americans sympathize with Calley?
11. What does Four dead in Ohio mean?
12. Which papers in 1971 revealed the government's blunders and deceptions in the conduct of the war.
13. War Powers Act which forces a president to withdraw troops after 60 days if _________________________________
14. New Age liberalism 1st "________________ Day" was celebrated. _______ amendment lowered the voting age.
Lesson # 91 The Embattled Presidency
15. Which Vice President resigned after admitting to tax evasion. ____________________
16. Which President is pictured to the left? _____________________________________
17. What was the Watergate Affair ? _________________________________________
18. Why did President Nixon resign? _________________________________________
19. Who was the Vice President, who became President? _________________________
20. What did Gerald Ford do for Richard Nixon?________________________________________________
21. Gerald R. Ford has served as a congressman from ___________________________________ for 25 years.
22. How did Gerald Ford become Vice-President? _______________________________________________
23. Ford did ______ work well with Congress, vetoed _________ bills and _______ were overruled by Congress.
24. Which President ordered the evacuation of South Vietnam? ____________________
Lesson # 92 Domestic Difficulties
35. What does the acronym OPEC stand for?____________________________________________________
36. Court case where the Supreme Court struck down most state abortion laws. __________________________
37. The abortion decision legalized abortion in the U.S. signaling the era of a___________________ supreme court.
Lesson # 93 The Ineffectual Presidency
42. By the election of 1976 why were Americans suspicious of almost all Washington politicians? ______________
43. Peanut farmer and former governor of Georgia, ____________ _______________________wins the election.
44. Who was the first candidate to declare that he was "born again"? ___________________________________
45. Carter's foreign policy tried to protect ________________ _________________for people in foreign countries.
46. Ayatollah ______________________________ a Muslim religious leader, captured the American embassy.
47. In Tehran, the Iranian capital # _________ American hostages and held them for the next ____ months.
48. What happened when Carter tried to rescue the hostages? ________________________________________
49. Name three Franchises and chain stores ____________________ _________________ _______________
50. Name four Sunbelt states: _______________________________________________________________
51. Why did people move from the cold northern states to the sunbelt states? ___________________________
52. What year did the U.S. celebrated its bicentennial (200 years)? ________________________
53. President Carter gives away the ____________________ Canal Zone back to the____________________
54. __________________ a group of Communist guerrilla soldiers who overthrew the government in Nicaragua.
55. Three Mile Island ________________________________ plant near disaster.
56. ______________________Peace Accords Jews and Arabs signed a peace treaty for the first time in history.
57. Why didn't peace last? _________________________________________________________________