#45 War in the West
...Watch Episode Three of Civil War Blood and Glory Pt 2...
1. Battle of Chancellorsville Gen Lee defeated Gen Hooker
2. but it was the South's costliest victory: lost Gen "Stonewall" Jackson Lee's "right hand man"
4. Gen Lee goes North
5. Battle of Gettysburg North wins and it becomes the turning point of the war.
1. thousands died in major battles, a good death was important, many "bit the dust"
2. Arlington, Gen Lee's house, was used as a national cemetery
3. embalming a method to preserve the body for proper burial
The Good Doctors
1. infection was a major cause of death "gangrene"
2. Union prisoners were sent to Andersonville
3. lack of food, clean water, disease killed many
1. Atlanta was a major Confederate stronghold
2. Gen Sherman burns Atlanta and the war is nearly over
3. "scorched earth policy" tries to end the war quicker
1. 1863 Lincoln dedicates cemetery @ Gettysburg
2. Lincoln's speech most famous in American history
Last Update: November 30, 2018
OK PASS Objectives
Content Standard 1: The student will analyze causes, key events, and effects of the Civil War/Reconstruction era.
3. Identify political and military leaders of the war (e.g., Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee,
4. Interpret the importance of critical developments in the war, including major battles
(e.g., Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Antietam, battle of the Monitor and Merrimack, and the North’s “total war strategy”
Other Battles in the West:
Battle of Stones River / Chickamauga / were Confederate victories
Battle of Chattanooga / Missionary Ridge were Union victories
Map of West : http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/willow/sectionalism-and-slavery3.gif
Total War: http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/97/5997-004-8D6A21C6.jpg