#29 The War of 1812
Causes of the War of 1812
1. British impressment of sea men
The "Chesapeake Affair"
led to the Embargo Act
2. New generation of statesmen called for war.
"War Hawks" -- Henry Clay and John C. Calhoun
3. British stirred up Indian aggression in the
Watch Chesapeak Affair 2min video
Fort Mc Henry
Fort in the Chesapeake Bay Birthplace of Our National Anthem
Francis Scott Key seeking the release of Dr. Bean
|Watch Ft McHenry and Battle of New Orleans 11 min video
||Watch White House video 6.5 min:
||Watch Fort McHenry video 3 min:
Star Spangled Banner
Captured Washington D.C. and burned the White House.
Battle of New Orleans
actually fought 2 wks after war was over.
Gen. Andrew Jackson emerged as the hero
Watch Battle of New Orleans 21min video: fastforward to 9:30
Treaty of Ghent ended War of 1812.
Results of the War of 1812
1. America gained respect of foreign nations
2. The war stimulated American industry
3. Created a new spirit of nationalism (Pride)
4. The war stimulated western expansion
Critics "White house and national anthem"
Watch 6min video on President James Madison
What did we learn today?
What were the causes of the War of 1812 ?
Describe the results of the War of 1812?
October 24, 2018
OK PASS Objectives
Content Standard 1: The student will
1. Examine the economic and philosophical differences (e.g.,
)as articulated by Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun.(1)